Support for Parents
Parents and carers
School and college exams are important milestones in every student’s life. Help your child maximise their outcomes by making sure they know the following.
Don’t take mobile phones or smartwatches into the exam
Taking a mobile phone or smartwatch into the exam room can lead to your child losing marks, whether it is switched on or not. Encourage them to leave these items at home or to turn them off and hand them in before the exam, in accordance with the procedure issued by the school or college.
Report any suspicions of leaked questions or papers
Most exam papers or questions seen on social media before an exam are fake but sharing them could risk disqualification. If your child has seen a post claiming to have an exam question or paper before the exam, they should immediately report it.
Help your child prepare
Help your child prepare for their exams by checking that they know:
- the location, date and time of each exam for each of their subjects
- the approved equipment required for each exam – for example: a clear pencil case, pen
- that if they intend to take in a water bottle, any label must be removed
- some equipment is only allowed in certain exams – for example: an approved scientific calculator can only be taken to specific maths exams
- some items are totally prohibited – for example: mobile phones and smartwatches