The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Health and Social Care provides an engaging, robust, broad-based introduction to the sector. The qualification builds on learning from Key Stage 3 for those who may wish to explore a vocational route throughout Key Stage 4.
It also provides a good introduction to Health and Social Care for learners in post-16 education, and brings together learning at levels 1 and 2 to ensure that every learner taking the qualification completes it with a level of understanding and skill on which to build at a later date. It presents knowledge, skills and understanding in a meaningful work-related context, to allow learners to understand theory and application.
The Course has also been developed to:
● give learners the opportunity to gain a broad understanding and knowledge of the health and social care sector
● give learners a more focused understanding of health and social care through the selection of optional specialist units
● give learners the opportunity to develop a range of personal skills and techniques, through the selection of units that are essential for successful performance in working life
● give opportunities for learners to achieve a nationally recognised level 1/level 2 health and social care qualification
● support progression into a more specialised level 3 vocational or academic course or into an apprenticeship.
How is the Course Assessed?
The first core unit of this qualification, which is externally assessed, provides learners with a solid foundation in human lifespan development. Learners will also gain an appreciation of the importance of health and social care values in the sector from the second core unit.
This qualification contains a range of optional specialist units, to accommodate a wide range of learners’ needs and interests, from Unit 3: Effective communication in health & social care and Unit 6: The impact of nutrition on health & wellbeing.
Edexcel First Award in Health & Social care
Unit Core units GLH Assessment method
Unit 1: Human Lifespan Development 30 External
Unit 2: Health & social care values 30 Internal
Unit 3: Effective communication in health & social care 30 Internal
Unit 6: The impact of nutrition on health & wellbeing 30 Internal